The role of a dental hygienist is the prevention and treatment of gum disease.
- During hygiene appointments your teeth will be professionally cleaned with special equipment and pastes, this process is also known as scaling and polishing.
- An important aspect of the hygienist’s role is to show you how to look after your teeth so they remain free from plaque. You will be advised on the best brushing technique and given tips on flossing and using interdental brushes.
- Healthy gums
Your gums are like cushions for your teeth: they surround the teeth in the jaws and help to support them. Looking after your gums is just as important as looking after your teeth. Red and swollen gums that bleed when you brush them could be a sign of gum disease, also known as gingivitis.
- When gingivitis is left untreated it can develop further into a type of infection known as periodontitis, which affects the entire area surrounding the tooth. A result of this could be losing your tooth so it’s vital to avoid.
- To keep your mouth in tip-top shape we recommend you come in for regular hygiene appointments and dental check-ups.
- If you have a bridge, denture, orthodontic treatment or a dental implant you will have specific hygiene needs that the hygienist will be able to assist you with.
It is recommend that you come in for regular hygiene appointments to ensure your mouth stays clean and healthy. If you are searching for Dental Hygienist Chingford, you should look no further. At Chinford Mount Dental Practice, we have a team of highly experienced dental hygienists to take care of your oral hygiene needs. If you would like to book an appointment with a specialist hygienist, contact us today